In agriculture, either soil-less or soil-based system; the objective is to optimize your growth objectives by getting the most yields you can in the shortest amount of time. So the question is, how much do I need to spend in order to meet my growing goals?
Since most plants develop best at a specific temperature and humidity range and under precise bright lightened provisions, a selected enclosed space is needed for your plants to grow well. You can use a room in your apartment to become the designated grow room, but not everyone has that spare space, especially if you live in the city. Your next available option is to use a grow tent which offers a practical and suitable way to grow your plants.
There are countless benefits of using grow tents which makes grow tents economical, more operative and more resourceful than using an ordinary room. These benefits go thus;
- Temperature and humidity control which prevents stress on your plants
- Pest Control
- Quarantine; which prevents your plants from infections
- Lightproof environment
- Light reflection which helps your plants grow tougher and more rapidly.
Your tent should be durable so it can handle heavy equipment. E.g. For growing plants like Cannabis and you should also provide a light tightened seal to prevent growth disorder.
This is why this post will focus on quality growing kits which are affordable for beginners that are interested in setting up grow tents.
Grow Tent: It is essential for your plans to grow comfortably. Therefore, there are factors you need to consider when choosing a grow tent, which are height, strength, thickness, reflective interior lining and some other factors. The ever more popular Gorilla Grow tent has suitable options for those starting out. For example;
The Gorilla 3x3 Shorty Indoor Grow Tent which has a dimension of 3’x3’x4’11”, height of 5’8”, weight of 32.5 lbs., a Tent Density of 1680Denier, an electric Port Quantity of 2(3”), Ducting Port Quantity of 3(11”) 2(9”) and Pole Diameter of 19mm costs $292.
Other Accessories to consider:
- LED Grow Light: Grow light is an artificial light source, designed to stimulate plant’s growth. One example is the Viparspectra PAR1200 Grow Light which has dimensions of 19.7x17.3x3.5 inches, weight of 27.5lbs, and an LED angle of 90 degrees, an input Voltage of AC100-240V, Frequency of 50-60Hz and a Lifespan of 100,000 hours. The current cost is $478.
Viparspectra 1200W LED Grow Light (V1200) which has dimensions of 19.2x19.2x3 inches, weight of 21.6lbs, LED angle of 90 degrees, an input Voltage of AC100-240V, Frequency of 50-60Hz and a Lifespan of 100,000 hours. Its cost is $358.
- Ventilation Systems: This serves two functions; It removes excess heat in the grow tent and changes the air within the grow tent to keep it fresh, mostly to keep a constant supply of CO2 for the plant’s use. An example is the Swift Air Hydroponic Grow Tent Ventilation which has an airflow of 100m3/h and an embedded Carbon Filter and Duct Kit. Costs average $88.19
- Analog Timer: This timer is one of the vital portions of your kit. Its function is to regulate the one and off sequence of the lights, exhaust fan and internal circulation fan. An example is the LUMii 24 Hour Heavy Duty Timer which is designed to take high loads, turns appliances on and off at required time with 96 switching operations within a 24-hour period and also saves you money. Costs average $13.03.
- Digital Thermometer and Hygrometer: This manages your plants by providing you with accurate temperature and humidity reading. An example is the Black Orchid Pro-Hydrometer with an LCD display screen showing humidity and temperature, which can take absolute temperature and humidity readings in and outside your grow tent, choose between metric and imperial readings, and easily check the last minimum and maximum readings. Costs average $13.56
- TDs Meter: This meter is used for testing the amount of nutrients present in your hydroponic system. An example is the HM Digital TDS-3 Handheld TDS meter which comes in a leather case and has an accurate TDS tester of 0-9990 ppm with temperature compensation. Costs average $19.68.
- Carbon Filter: The function of this carbon filter is that it helps to filter the air coming out of your cabinet to make sure it is clean and odorless.
- Miscellaneous: There are lots of accessories and apparatus you may need as a beginner which include;
- Propagation Package: Includes all you need to start, propagate vegetable and flower seedling and grow fresh herbs in the propagation chamber.
- PH controller
- Nutrients and Additive: The next thing to look into after setting up your grow tent is plant nutrients and additives. There are whole lots of plant nutrient and additive out there, so you need to be careful when choosing one to grow your plants, but this depends solely on the type of plant you intend to grow.